Bowie County lies in extreme northeastern Texas between the Red River and Sulphur River. The County was named for James Bowie, Alamo hero, knife-fighter, rancher and adventurer. Its 873 square miles contain sands, silt, clay, rich bottom lands and abundant forests of shore leaf pine, cedar and white oak. Agriculture is good in this area, supplemented by beef, dairy, and poultry raising.
Ben Milam established a store in Long Prairie on the Red River in 1819. This was actually in Arkansas. Milam moved to Texas when he discovered his mistake. Bowie County was originally part of Red River County and was constituted so in 1840. In 1846, Titus and Cass Counties were detached from Bowie County.
Boston was named for an early storekeeper in the settlement, W.J. Boston. The coming of the railroads led to the location of two more Bostons. A depot was built about four miles north of Boston and was named New Boston. The first Boston then became Old Boston. The courthouse was moved to Texarkana in the early 1880's but a later election carried to move the courthouse back to the geographic center of the county. This location was between the Bostons. The Post Office Department named this location Boston, so Bowie County has claim to three Bostons; New Boston, Boston. and Old Boston.
In 1852, the El Paso and Pacific Railroad moved in, but the Civil War delayed construction. Twenty-three miles were completed by 1870. The Texas and Pacific Railroad was in operation by 1875 and took over the existing line. Kansas City Southern and the Cotton Belt are other railroads now serving Bowie County.
Looking to the future, New Boston is a small town enjoying the environment of a close knit family, definitely growing and offering much to our youth.